Believe it or not, folks around the world with bad intentions can find your donation form and use it to "test" credit card numbers. These ill willed folks have often times acquired thousands of CC #'s from the 'dark-web' or even worse, have purchases lists of CC #'s and they are out on the prowl for any form they can use to test each CC #. Once they find a form that allows them to submit CC #'s, they can easily submit hundreds per second and determine which CC #'s are good vs bad.
The bad news for you is, your list of donors and transactions can be riddled with declined transactions. Added to this, your payment gateway will likely suspend your account for a time period; during which, you cannot accept any donations.
Is this RaiseDonors fault? Certainly not. It's the ill willed folks around the world abusing our system.
Can RaiseDonors do anything to prevent this? YES.
Suggested Fraud Prevention Solutions
1) If you are on the Pro plan, log into your account settings and activate the Address Verification Services integration. Ensuring that your donations are submitted with USPS approved addresses can cut out 80%+ of any fraudulent activity.
2) Enable the Card Code Verification (CVV) setting for your RaiseDonors account. This is an optional setting that you can control from your account settings, Merchant Account configurations. Requiring this fields adds extra security to ensure your transactions are authentic.
2) Your merchant account / gateway likely has advanced features that help prevent fraud. Consult your gateway provide for more information.
- Authorize.net: more information
3) If you suspect any fraudulent activity with your RaiseDonors account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org immediately. We have several tools in place that can be adjusted to fine tune your needs.