This article will explain what kind of data data can be imported into RaiseDonors and the manner in which that data can be imported. First, lets discuss how data can be imported into RaiseDonors.
The first choice is to leverage RaiseDonors' API and import any data object into RaiseDonors. This is the most flexible choice but also requires you have a web developer who is comfortable making API calls (technology agnostic) to push data into RaiseDonors. Our API's support Adding, Editing, and Retrieving information.
The second choice is to use a professional services agreement where by we will facilitate the process of importing the data into RaiseDonors for you. To proceed this way, just drop us a note to get in touch with us and we'll walk you thru the process of costs, timelines, and expectations. As a point of clarity, you will be responsible for using our templates to place your data into. We require our standardized templates to be used.
Below you will find information about the different types of data that can be loaded into RaiseDonors. You can use this information in conjunction with the API documentation. Or you can use this information to download the templates you'll need to proceed with professional services.
- Recurring Schedules in RaiseDonors
- Transactions (documentation coming soon)
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
- Billing Address 1
- Billing Address 2
- Billing City
- Billing State (Full Text)
- Billing Postal
- Billing Country (ISO3 or ISO2)
- Organization Name (Business)
- Phone Number
- Shipping Address 1
- Shipping Address 2
- Shipping City
- Shipping State (Full Text)
- Shipping Postal
- Shipping Country (ISO3 or ISO2)
- News Letter Opt In - Has this donor opted in to your email appeals?
- CRM Key - A key to your system (ie: CRM)
The true "schedule" lives at the gateway, which is responsible for charging the payment method on file on the proper day of the month. RaiseDonors also has a "schedule" object, but this is just a placeholder to contain information about the schedule in the gateway. For sake of simplicity of definitions, the "schedule" is implying the schedule at the gateway. The "schedule object" is imply the schedule placeholder in RaiseDonors.
If you move forward with the manual approach, there is a critical piece to understand in regards to timing. If all of your recurring schedules hit on the 15th of the month, it's important that the schedules are loaded into your gateway before the 15th, the file is created and provided to RaiseDonors before the 15th, and RaiseDonors has time to import the schedules before the 15th. Put another way, if you have a recurring schedule hitting every day of the month, you'll find that schedules are passively imported into RaiseDonors because the charge took place in the gateway before the schedule was created in RaiseDonors.
You can use the built in features of RaiseDonors to consume the recurring schedules from the gateway over the course of a month, as the schedules are charged in your gateway.
Positives of this approach
- Don't have to spend time and money to import schedules into RaiseDonors via API or professional services
- It takes up to 1 month to complete (needs to cycle thru each day of the month)
- Less attributions to each schedule.
- When a schedule created outside of RaiseDonors is imported, it's tied to a specific campaign in RaiseDonors named "import-donors".
- The schedule and following donations will inherit all of the attributions configured in the campaign "import-donors". This includes motivation code, source code, etc.
- The schedule will be attributed to one specific fund. There is no ability to split the schedule across multiple funds.
- There are very few customizations.
- Donors won't be able to see their recurring schedule in the donor portal until the passive approach has completed.
- Context for why you are needing to import recurring schedule objects into RaiseDonors
- Timeline for imports to be completed (at least 2 weeks notice)
- Date and time for RaiseDonors to have a kick-off call for this project.
- The gateway where schedules currently exist
- Completed CSV file - The CSV file will contain information we need to import and create the schedule objects in RaiseDonors.
The following information provides context for the fields of information needed in the attached CSV. The items indicated with * are required fields. Please ensure any data provided is appropriately parsed for commas and apostrophe's to be compatible for CSV's.
|Donor.FirstName*||First Name of Donor|
|Donor.LastName*||Last Name of Donor|
|Donor.EmailAddress*||Email Address of Donor|
|Donor.Phone||Phone of Donor|
|Donor.BillingAddress*||Billing Address of Donor for payment method|
|Donor.BillingCity*||Billing City of Donor|
|Donor.BillingState*||Billing State of Donor (ISO2, ex: TX)|
Billing Postal/Zip of Donor
Billing Country of Donor (ISO3, ex: USA)
|Donor.CRM||For reporting purposes, you can include the CRM ID|
|Gateway.Schedule.Amount*||Charge amount for schedule|
|Gateway.Schedule.DayOfMonth*||Day of month schedule is charged|
|Gateway.Schedule.StartDate*||Start date for schedule|
|Gateway.Schedule.Number*||The ID/Number/Code that references the schedule|
|Gateway.Schedule.Status*||Status of schedule in gateway (active, suspended, terminated, cancelled)|
|Gateway.Schedule.PaymentType*||ACH or CC|
|Gateway.Schedule.CustomerKey||For stripe, associated customer Id/Key|
|Gateway.Schedule.Fund.Code*||RaiseDonors fund "code" to associate with donation (you can locate this on the 'funds' page in RaiseDonors.)|
|Donation.MotivationCode||Motivation code to associate with donations|
|Donation.SourceCode||Source code to associate with donations|
|Donation.PageName*||Page to associate with schedule and donation. Name must match exactly to page name in RaiseDonors. If your account has multiple gateways enabled, the gateway selected in this page is the gateway this schedule will be attached with.|
- Empty Schedule Object Schema
- Empty Donor Schema
- Empty Donation Schema
- Add Donor
- Add Donation
- Add Schedule Object
- You'll need to first create the donor and address - or locate the existing donor and save the Donor.ID.
- Then you'll need to create the schedule object and assign it to this new donor.
- Then you need to create a $0 donation for the new donor and also assign it as the first donation for this schedule object. This allows you to specify which attributions you want the recurring schedule object to carry forward. For example, if you need the future donations from this recurring schedule object to have specific fund designations, specific motivation codes, specific source codes, etc - they all inherit from the first donation. Getting this donation "perfect" is key to the accuracy of attributions in future donations from this schedule object. As a general rule, this place-holder donation should have a donation amount set to Zero. The fund allocations will exist, but will be set to Zero.
- Your Cause (formerly Orange Leap on Demand) - will automatically pull funds from YC into RaiseDonors. More information can be read here.
- Virtuous - RaiseDonors does not currently import funds from nor are funds pushed to Virtuous from RaiseDonors.
- SalesForce - RaiseDonors does not currently import funds from nor are funds pushed to Virtuous from RaiseDonors.
- MPX - RaiseDonors does not currently import funds from nor are funds pushed to Virtuous from RaiseDonors.